Monday, December 27, 2010

Newtown Flea Market at Calhoun, Georgia

The Newtown Flea Market.  A couple of weeks before Christmas I saw an ad in a mailer the Calhoun Times sends out.  I visited the market the next weekend.  If you were coming from I-75 on Hwy 156 (Red Bud Road) you would pass the Gordon County Hospital on the left.  A little further on the right is Newtown Rd.  Turn right.  About two miles on the left, just as the road passes under I-75 sits the Newtown Flea Market.

The market has a good feel to it.  The sheds are old but the shops were warm and well organized.  The sheds and tables form a large horse shoe with parking in the middle.  On the outside there is a lot of glassware.  Inside the shops I found a wide variety of good used merchandise and some new. Clothes, hats, knives, belts, books, VHS, CDs, DVDs, tools, some antiques and small appliances.

Talking to an old timer I found out there had been a fire in one of the sheds a couple of years back.  Many folks thought the market was closed.  The management and vendors recently started some advertising to remedy that misconception. At the time I visited outside spots with two tables under the sheds were five dollars.  There were no inside spots available but I was told the rate for them was fifty dollars a month.

1 comment:

  1. I visited The Newtown market a couple of weeks ago. It is still active and I found several good items. One was a Lazyboy recliner in excellent shape for $10.

    ReplyDelete

Tell about your favorite flea market or latest find. I review comments before they are published. This may take a little while.